Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What do you want to be when you grow up?

"So beta, What do you want to be when you grow up?". This was the question I was often tortured with when I was a kid.

This is what I used to think then:

What do I want to be when I grow up? Why do people keep asking me this question - my friends, my family, my teachers, my parents and any person whom I meet on the road. Everyone wants to know what will I become when I grow up. I think everyone is supposed to be someone when one grows up. I think this is the purpose of life. I should have a plan to be someone when I grow up.

So, what should I be when I grow up?

Maybe I should become a He-Man, the master of the Universe. He has such a good body with big muscles, he has a Tiger(a green one?) on which he rides, and he kills the bad Skeleton with his long sword. But, what is the point of being a He-Man with all the powers? Grandma, who knows about so many other things, doesn't even know who a He-Man is!

Maybe I should become an Engineer like my Aunt's brother, Yogesh mama. I have heard he could make a TV on his own. He also gets to travel to foreign countries like Hong Kong, which is so far away and full of alien people. My Aunt must be lying. Who can make a TV on his own? I have read in my G.K. book that only J.L.Baird knows how to make one. Maybe an Engineer could do it. I should become an Engineer then. But, what is the point of being an Engineer? People outside the family won't know a Engineer.

Maybe I should become a Doctor like our family doctor, Mr. Veeraraghavan. Grandma says that he has magic in his hands - he can cure people just by touching them. Also, people respect him. All his patients stand up in respect when he arrives at the clinic. But, I have seen in movies that even Doctors make mistakes - mistakes which cost other people's life. Also you have to cut Frogs to become a Doctor. No, I do not want to be a Doctor.

So, what else can I become? Whom does everyone in this world love? Who has the power to do what he wants to do? Who always gets the good name? Ya! Lord Ram in Ramayan and Lord Krishna in Mahabharat. They always do the good things. In any fight victory is always theirs. Even if it involves killing, they kill the bad people. No one in my family shouts at them for fighting. They have the power to control fire, water and air. They can fire magical arrows of different kinds. Mom always talks good things about them. Grandma, who is so old, fears of them. Nobody shouts at Lord Krishna for stealing the butter. People outside the family also respect them and fear them. They have built these buildings(temples) for them where people wash them with milk, decorate them with flowers, and give good fruits to eat. Even my mom does the same thing at home, everyday. Being God must be really great, otherwise who gets cared and respected for doing nothing? Yes, this is what I want to become when I grow up. I want to become a God!


From then on, whenever somebody visited our house, my family members will tell them "Ask this kid of what he wants to be in future".

They would ask me "Beta, what do you want to be when you grow up?".

I would reply simply "I want to be a God!".

They would laugh and laugh aloud. I would consider that as a compliment and tell myself "so wise of me to make a decision to become a God. I will achieve what you people could not".

Over the time, I realized that God is just an imaginary character and it is not possible to be one. These days, I ask the same question to myself and still can't find an answer. Forget God, it is even difficult to be a human.

5 Comments:

At May 26, 2005 9:09 am, Blogger Bijesh said...

Excellent post! I don't really remember what I thought I wanted to become, when I was a kid. Somewhere during the high-school years I decided that computers were the way to go for me. And so here I am, repenting. :-)

 
At May 26, 2005 12:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you revived all those memories da..
If luck had its way, i would have been one of
Train Ticket Collector , Chartered Accountant , Doctor , Statistician
but chose to become a Comp Sci Engineer..

 
At May 26, 2005 8:37 pm, Blogger DD said...

My childhood dream was to become an actress, for all the colorful dresses and jewellery they wear and the craze for them everywhere they go...
Then I really wanted to be a Doctor... but my dad convinced me to take compsci by saying that I had to hold the cockroaches on hand which I dreaded literally :-(
VJ, nice topic to discuss... Keep posting!

 
At June 06, 2005 11:21 am, Blogger Skely said...

I wanted to become either a "Bus Driver" or a "Bus Conductor" when I was in my primary school. I used to drive the Bus all over my house, and used to distribute "Tickets" to my imaginary Passengers. Never allowed my brother to touch my Bus. I made sure that the "Bus" represented always the Good Team when there was a battle between "Good" & Bad". There is some strong bond between the buses and myself. Still, It is one of my favourite time passes.

I wanted to become a SportsPerson later on.

Now I am wondering why I am a SE, and also wondering what I would be in the future.

(Latest Want is to be a Traveller. Previous Want was Teaching School Children)

 
At June 06, 2005 11:23 am, Blogger Skely said...

Ooops... I forgot add a line in my previous article/post..

"Good Article Gandhe.. Keep it up..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home