Saturday, August 27, 2005

Landed!

Atlast, I have landed in the US of A - this time on my own to do my Masters.

Well, I am not going to write a Thank You note like what Skely had mentioned here. But let me just write my First Impressions about this place.

University - I guess getting to the University of Minnesota is a very good decision I have made. The place is really beautiful and the campus is really huge. I guess it must be bigger than Perambur, the place where I live in Chennai. It is spread across two cities - Minneapolis and St.Paul, better known as the Twin Cities. My department is in Minneapolis, whose campus is divided into two by the great Missisippi river.

Talking about the beauty, the Univ has old-styled buildings with red & scarlet bricks and and huge pillars, like the one in Roman buildings; lush green gardens, well maintained and flowers around them, with hares and gophers(big-sized squirrels) running on them. So, it has a very good campus.

City - The Minneapolis downtown is quite close from home. I could actually see the buildings from my home. Yet to visit the place though. But the roads and the system is pretty much like that of California. CNN and Coca-Cola have its headquarters here.

People - There are all kinds of people here - of different fields, for different level of education and of different origins. Locals are quite friendier, but strict about discipline and punctuality.
I feel people in India are far much better.

Home - My roomies here had found a house and had furnished it with TV, refrigerator, phone, kitched utensils, sofa...almost everything. So, home is good too.

Weather - It is just like Bangalore now. I think it will start snowing in another 3 months.

Finance - This seems to be a problem. Got to find an assistantship very soon. Otherwise, it would be difficult to live up! :-(

Well, I don't know what else to write as it has been not even a week. Will try to post more details later.

3 Comments:

At August 30, 2005 7:56 pm, Blogger Skely said...

Even the Great Covum river splits the amazing chennai city. Have you ever realized it?

All kind of people live here.. Do people shorter than you live there?

Weather -- It is just like Bangalore now..Do you have any idea what the Bangalore weather is right now.

Please come to the point Gandhe..

What about the Guju store close to your place? I am sure, if the owners have a daughter, atleast your Finance problem would be solved. :)

 
At August 31, 2005 3:58 pm, Blogger Karthikeyan Chellappa said...

I feel people in India are far much better. How come you came to this conclusion so quickly? I feel its just the perception of the individual. If you want to be happy in some place, if you put every thought, every action towards that goal, then you will achieve it.

Your roomies already furnished the house? Man, you just missed the fun. Try finding new things to add to the house.

So there's a guju store nearby huh? Hmm....I hope your long-lost dreams of finding a girl in Bangalore will be fulfilled in Minnesota.

How are your roomies? Do you guys have a common account? hahaa...sorry just had to ask that! But here is an article that might be of interest to you.

 
At August 31, 2005 4:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gandhi.. nice that you got settled quickly..
so looking out for a gujju girl.. think of assistantship and other things later.. start exploring the place , people ..

could not stop laughing after skely's comments..
chells reading the first line remembered me of "Professionalism" stuff you gave lectures on after return from USA..
also talked about your very long post.. yet to read it..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home